30 May, 2012

Summer has arrived!

Well summer is here, reaching a balmy, humid 95 on Tuesday. Penwick is in full swing, Regal and Rex are getting ready for Plantation next weekend and then the NJ Horse Park at the end of the month. Regal will do his first Novice, still planning to move him up to training level this year and look at prelim next year if all goes well. While Aston, Spidey, Quest, Noble, Digger, Shadow and perhaps Marbles are getting ready for Oxbow on the 24th. For several of the riders this will be their first full 3-phase so lots of excitement and nerves.

Rides on Regal have been going well, I am still playing with the right bit for stadium jumping, he is still not where I want him to be when we are doing course work. I have increased our fitness rides, with the onslaught of heat I am more worried about the Cleveland Bay in him. So far he is doing well, but the boy is big and filling out!
A few weeks ago I did a quick jaunt to North Carolina to pick up a blue Doberman puppy.  “Dimmu” has settled into his barn/city life well. He has a good natural horse sense, except for his LOVE of chasing tails, I am actually convinced he is part cat….Meet Dimmu:

Not long after I took a quick trip to Switzerland, no riding this time but a long trek up a mountain on a bike, then a lovely dinner over looking Lake Thun for Reto's dad's 70th birthday.



This Friday I will take the lovely Noor for our first XC school and Leigh Ann will bring Valor, should be exciting times, if we both mange to not eat dirt and have some working breaks, I will consider it a success.
This week we also welcomed a new horse, I am debating calling him “Rafiki” he came to me through a childhood riding friend who thought he may enjoy the life of an eventer more than a hunter.  So far so good, he is very sweet and I am thrilled to add him to the growing herd. I may show him myself a bit this season and hopefully one of our riders will call him their own at some point in the future.  Or if he turns out to be a rock star he can stay one of my own rides J Meet “the new kid”…

No comments: