27 November, 2011

Tri means 3 not 1

So, early Friday morning I was able to score a lesson with my long time mentor Sally. I rode a large WB mare called Tango. I hadn’t had a set of eyes on the ground since May and I was quickly reminded that I can’t spend all my time in the dressage saddle. When jumping I was using my leg more in a dressage way which was messing up my position. So I have instructions to get in the jump saddle and lots of half seat, use less lower leg, more thigh and to lengthen my base. We also discussed flying changes, she introduced me to a new way I hadn’t heard, so I will be curious to see how our horses respond to it.
I had a smile a bit as I was walking around her beautiful frost covered fields after the lesson, I was thinking that as an eventing rider, I do the triathlon of horse spots, which means all areas need training on a regular basis, for the last few months I defiantly failed this one. To my own defense, Regal outgrew my jump saddle this summer and after much back and forth I did finally order one, which should be here in 2-weeks. I am looking forward to climbing in it and rediscovering my longer base. But clearly if this happens again I need to jump one of the other horses who my saddle does fit until the situation is remedied. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad that you were able to go home...and be a student! Welcome back to joisey :)