17 November, 2011

Young Horses

Today was a baby day. I did my first ride on Regal who had Wednesday off, he was fresh and in a bit of a mood to fight so it was a day or relaxing and just going back to the basics. Regal has had a slow transition to self carriage and really has gotten in beautifully this fall, however when he is a bit naughty the first place he goes is hallow and heavy at time, today was one of those days. So I skipped the up work, got him streaching down into the trot with lots of transitions from the seat and breath. We were able to get some good turn on the forehand and haunches before calling it a day.

Next was Dubai. Dubai is a new OTTB who came into my life recently. I had these great plans to get on and just go for a walk. So I brought him in from turnout and he immediately poops three times and can barely stand still. He now looks much bigger then his relaxed self. I push ahead dancing around him getting a dressage saddle on adjusting the bridle. Reto suggested treats and suddenly wasn't so thrilled to be riding Aston in the same ring as me. Once we were off the cross ties and out to the ring he was a ham. Even stood by the mounting block. We worked on breaks, steering and bending. He even was unexcited when a horse broke out of a paddock and Aston came trotting up behind him. He is a very quick learner. I will need spurs for the next ride. Steering is still not always accurate but we stop on an exhale and doesn't feel like a block of concrete in his mouth, success! Very excited to see what this boy can do next year.

Tomorrow is more riding, teaching, we were going to school cross country but the rain for the last two days has left everything too wet.

No comments: